Saturday, January 2, 2010

Here from the dark vaults of my flat files, are some of my original works I produced at age 15 & 16 in High School, & College at S.V.A. thereafter. Being that these particular places of learning I attended focused on the "Commercial Arts", it helped to shape my imagination, & honing my work & personal style. As crude & hurried as some of it may be, the work was only a beginning, & it is interesting how I adapted to different styles based on who or what was inspiring me at the time. Whether it be GEORGE PEREZ, GILBERT SHELTON, HARVEY KURTZMAN, JACK KIRBY, AL FELDSTEIN, or WALLY WOOD.
The majority is all out of my head & imagination, with occassional reference for a guide. My present-day style morphed from all the artists I was being exposed to & admired, & am at a level today where all my work is done this same way. I only use reference when it is undoubtably needed, & never intend to try to emulate another artist. That is something I do not want. If it just so happens to share a distinct look to another artists work, that is because my brain has absorbed so much over the years, & automatically applies a line approach that has soaked within my psyche at some point along my bristol board & Ink blotched travels....

Pen & Ink & Watercolor for 9th Grade "Commercial Art" Class at the "High School Of Art & Design, NYC, 1979. "Death Is The Conqueror Of Man!"

Pen & Ink "Sunday" Newspaper Strip Assignment, for "Commercial Art" Class at the "High School Of Art & Design", NYC, 1980. "JACK SAVAGE" © 2010 B. Krauz Prods.

Pen & Ink Panels from Continuity Comic Pages, for "Will Eisner's" class at the "School Of Visual Arts, NYC, 1984. "GORDON OF GHOST CITY" © 2010 B. Krauz Prods.

Pen & Ink Panels from 6-page Continuity "E.C."-like Comic Assignment, for "Will Eisner's" class at the "School Of Visual Arts", NYC, 1985. "SIMPLE REMINDER" © 2010 B. Krauz Prods.

Pen & Ink panels from Continuity Comic Assignment, for "Will Eisner's" class at the "School Of Visual Arts", NYC, April 1985. "ENTER, THE OPTIMISER" © 2010 B. Krauz Prods.


Pen & Ink "Daily" Newspaper Strip Assignments, for "Will Eisner's" class at the "School Of Visual Arts", NYC, Feb. 1986. "NORA" © 2010 B. Krauz Prods.

The occassional experience of getting a teacher that insists that he knows what's best for you. An Assignment for "Harvey Kurtzman's" class at the "School Of Visual Arts", NYC, Sept. 1985.

"Masquerade" Assignment for "Harvey Kurtzman's" class, March 1986.

Various Pencilled Panels from a 4 page Continuity/Storytelling practice. 1988. Characters © 2010 DC Comics, Inc.

Pen & Ink & Letratone Assignment for "Joe Orlando's" class, at the "School Of Visual Arts",
NYC, Oct. 1985.

Pen & Ink & Craftint Practice pieces of Elizabeth Taylor, Kim Novack. 1986. I was collecting & studying the Craftint frontispages of Wally Wood's 1950's gorgeous "AVON" work.

Pencils for 1986 Illo for "Star Trek" article, in "Gateways Magazine"#3, Feb. 1987. Characters © 2010 Paramount, Prods.

Brush, Ink & Washtone for Unpublished "CREEPY" Magazine Frontispiece, 1987. I was asked to do a frontispage Illo. for the "Supposed" revival of Warrens "Creepy" Magazine, but nothing ever came of it.

Pencilled Panels from Portfolio Sample page, 1987. BATMAN © 2010 DC Comics, Inc.

My Inking for "Man From U.N.C.L.E." Comic Book Sample Page, 1987. Characters © 2010 Turner Broadcasting, Inc.

Pencils for "SPACE GHOST" Comic Idea I wanted to publish, but "Steve Rude" & "Comico" got to it first, 1989. Characters © 2010 Hanna Barbera, Inc.

1990 Pencilled samples for "Popular Publ." proposal for Comic Series, based on their "Pulp" Characters of the 1930's. "CAPTAIN SATAN", "WU FANG", & "THE SPIDER" Another idea I wanted to publish, yet others, like Timothy Truman, already had it in the works. Characters © 2010 Popular Publications, Inc.

Village Voice Ad Illo. for 1992 "NUCLEAR ASSAULT/CANNIBAL CORPSE" Concert at NYC's "Ritz. © B. Krauz Prods.

"DIMENSION X", & all artworks, are © & TM 2010 B. Krauz Prods. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment