Thursday, December 17, 2009


I had been doing occassional jobs for JOE ORLANDO at "DC COMICS", for the "Special Projects" division. ORLANDO had been one of my teachers at Manhattan's "School of Visual Arts" in the early 80's, & we became very close. I would go up to his home in Mahopac & stay for weekends, helping him with work, & spending time with his family. He would also stay at my apartment on East 7th St & Ave. B., when he needed to cram a job & didn't want to go home. Many times I would crash & when I woke up in the morning, he would still be at my drawing table, ready to go to work without any sleep. The man was a work horse & was one who truly loved his job...


A "Special Projects" job by Me & Joe Orlando.
Copyright 1986 DC Comics, Inc.
Another "Special Projects" job I pencilled for Joe Orlando.
Copyright 1986 DC Comics, Inc.

From the "Shadow Annual #1" by Andy Helfer,
Joe Orlando & Alfredo Alcala.
"EC"-like Homage Pencilled by Me &
Inked by Animator/Artist Bill Wray. Copyright
1987 DC Comics, Inc.
My Pencils for the "Shadow Annual #1.
Copyright 1987 DC Comics, Inc.
More Panels from "Shadow Annual #1", Inked by Bill Wray.
Copyright 1987 DC Comics, Inc.
In 1985, I had taken over a family "Art Supply" business, & one of our accounts was "DC COMICS". So I was a usual hang-around in Joe's office, & the Art Department with Designer ALBERT DEGUZMAN & BOB LEROSE.
This same year, I also met an artist/writer named MICHAEL LUCK at a NY Comic Con. He was developing his own studio with many artists which he called "THE NEW BREED". He approached me with "MARVEL COMICS" Inker JERRY ACERNO. I then became an occassional Penciller/Inker for various jobs Luck would acquire & we became close as well...
In March of 1989, Orlando told me that DC was going to produce "Bonus Books" of new concepts, for their line of comics. He was going to let Luck & I be the team on one to be called, "THE NEW OUTSIDERS". Luck was going to be the Writer, & I, the Artist. JOEY CAVALIERI was to be the Editor, with Orlando overlooking everything. Luck & I were given a list of names of characters to create & the city they would inhabit. We were to go home & create visuals, & a written background.








No comments:

Post a Comment